Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Stevie D.

Steve was a great guy. I worked with him for several years until he retired in 2000. He was originally from New York, and sometimes he tried to sound tougher than he really was. Inside, he was a sweet man with a heart of gold. For many years, he would bring me and my co-workers bagels on the weekends and he refused to take our money for them.

Once, years ago, I was battling a horrible sinus infection. Jeff and I were having some money troubles, and I didn't have enough money to go to the doctor. Steve insisted that I go and get checked out and get some medicine to get over my illness. I didn't want to tell him at first that I was too broke to go, but he finally got it out of me. He immediately whipped out his checkbook and handed me a blank check. He told me to do whatever I needed to get better and not to worry about the cost. I was amazed. I went to the doctor that day and was able to get a prescription that helped me right away. I was embarrassed that I was so financially pathetic, but at the same time, so grateful that such a kind-hearted man was willing to help me. I paid Steve back as soon as I could and have forever remembered his generosity.

Tonight was Steve's wake. He was diagnosed with cancer just a few months ago, and lost his short battle this past Saturday. He will be remembered fondly by many people and missed greatly.

No comments: